Hey Funboys! Mach Scnell mit mein AUTO!!!

When I moved to Germany and decided to become a Funboy, I quickly became aware that in order to properly infiltrate the greater world of Das Funboys, it was imperative that I get a car that "works it". And, to my credit, I think I've succeeded. Now, when I streak by orange-wearing Euromen with my techno blaring, they may very well think I'm one of them. (Kind of like how Diane Fossey infiltrated the realm of the gorillas.)

My sweet ride:

A BMW 740i, 1995, manual transmission, 6-speed. Roughly 200,000 Kilometers on it.
(click on each pic to enlarge)













Driving on the autobahn, as advertised, is pretty nutty at times. You can't go as fast as you want everywhere, and there are more speed limits on that road then you would think. Between large cities, out in the open, however, is where the Autobahn really gets its name. At other times, near cities, there are often long "Staus" (traffic jams) and lots of other restrictions. The speed limits may drop all the way to 80 km/hr (~48 mph) for seemingly no reason. Also, there are high-speed cameras on the road near cities which will take your picture if you're speeding and then mail you a ticket. I have gotten one of these so far, but it wasn't on the autobahn.

My car actually IS pretty sweet. BMW's handle extremely well, especially to me after driving a truck and an SUV for the previous 14 years.

My personal best with my car is 220 kph, which is roughly 132 mph. This speed is pretty ridiculous, but my car handled it like a dream. (I however, was scared to turn the wheel even a millimeter for fear of sending the car into a spiraling death crash...) I only maintained that speed for like 5 seconds, but it was pretty nutty. Now to see if I can break that record...


Other News:

-I'm starting back up on call tomorrow for another week.

-I'm officially a board-certified Internal Medicine physician. Proof that you can actually cram for and pass the ABIM exam, even while studying in a wet army tent on a rickety cot. Not that it's recommended. But it is doable.

-Speaking of the Army, I got the lucky opportunity to take another retarded Army PT Test yesterday, in 45 degree rainy weather. Awesome stuff, people. I'm telling you - if you're not already in - go see your recruiter today!

-I've updated the links on the side - check 'em out. (A personal shout out to my boy James who started up his blog last week...) There's some other stuff there I scan on a regular basis as well.

Captain Funboy out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... the best part by far is that there is a little kid riding by in the last picture.

Little touches like that make life worth living.

Nice work.

Adman

Anonymous said...

Mick,

I don't know if you realize but at this point some of us are living vicariously through your adventures and successes. Nice Work!

eryn_roston@yahoo.com said...

Nice dude! Nice work indeed! I also like the cyclist cruisin by while you get all white-snake on the top of your ride!

Anonymous said...

The next picture in that sequence I'm sure had that girls Mom hurrying her kid in doors staring back with a look of horror.

good stuff