(American) Football

Monday, circa 9:22 pm

Yesterday was opening day of the NFL season. Gwen and I went to the military equivalent of a sports bar on the base and watched us some football. It certainly wasn't the best bar in the world, but they had 3 games running so I can't complain too much.

More importantly, I got to watch my G-men. At least for the first half. I will tell you that it was really damn surreal to sit down at like 7 pm and start watching "morning" games from the NFL. Everything on the TV looked and sounded right, but the subconscious feel was horribly off. By halftime, it was like pitch black outside the bar despite the obviously blazing sun on all the games on TV. Gwen and I had some dinner for the first half. By the end of the first games, it was like 10:15 pm and we were getting tired and yawny. Plus, Gwen was pooped from yelling loudly at the Steelers. I recharged when my boys came on TV, but by halftime it was like midnight and Gwen was falling asleep on the table. I called it at that point and we drove home. She went to bed and I had to "watch" the rest of the game on Yahoo GameCast.

Next week, at least, we should have the decoder up and running and hence should be watching games here in the apartment. Snday and Monday night games? Forget it. I'd have to be awake at 2:30 to 3 am to START watching the things. My best move may be to get up at like 5 am to catch the 4th quarter or something. They re-broadcast the games at a somewhat normal time the next day, but I've never been able been in to watching my sports tape delayed. So who knows how that'll work.

I'm definitely not a fan of watching the games this late. BUT - I will say it may be nice when I spend my weekends traveling and then come home Sunday late afternoon, just in time to watch some football.

Today I saw my first patient here at my new place of work. So there's that. My clinic schedule is slowly filling up - and i take my first week of inpatient call starting this Friday.

I keep forgetting to bring my camera back from my apartment. So you will continue to suffer without pictures for now.

No comments: