The Wards - Day 7

I worked from 7:00 am until 2:20 pm today. Basically went in and rounded with one intern and the staff physician. (The rest of the team had the day off). As the dust has settled from "Mega Call", we have about 9 patients on our team (we discharged about 5 or 6 patients post-call yesterday which was nice). They are stable, and today we took a good bit of time sort of hammering out a thorough game plan on all their issues. Several will go home tomorrow and most will leave on Tuesday (patients tend to hang around longer in the hospital on holiday weekends because the ancillary services like social work aren't there). Tomorrow is a call day (sigh), but its only a 12 hour call day for my team (our so called "Mini-call") This is to make up for the 36 hour MEGA CALL we did on Friday and thus its the best call day to have as opposed to the previous which of course is the worst. Shouldn't be terrible, but going into call with 9 patients on your team is no joke. Regardless, I'm officially done with 1 week (of 4 total) of the wards and I'm still standing. Tomorrow will suck but Tuesday is my day off (my first of four total days off this month) so I can leave tomorrow night and not go back until Wednesday morning. Which will be nice.

I tallied up all my hours worked this week (we have to keep rigid track given national Residency Committee guidelines) - From Sunday until Saturday I worked 77.5 hours (a normal 9 to 5 work week is 40 hours). And I was off last Sunday. Yeesh. Anyway, we are supposed to be under 80 hour per week or we get in trouble. So, I made it. Yay me.

This afternoon I got home and took a 2 hour nap. Then Gwen came over and she made soup and we watched "Badlands", a Netflix rental. Good movie. Now I am tired and 5am is way too close. I can already hear the alarm...


No comments: