The Wards – Day 19

I have the day off today. It was supposed to be next Wednesday but things got switched around for various reasons. This past Wednesday was a call day. It was surprisingly light as I took only 3 patients over the entire 24 hour period including the night float. (This is amazing). It was truly fortunate, too, as I had gone into the call with 12 patients. Yikes. Not too much new to report. Work continues to be busy, call day or not. Yesterday I had clinic in the afternoon, which is a whole different beast. One of my patients was from England and told me all about being 6 years old during the battle of Britain. She said she remembered being outside and watching dog fights between the British and German planes in the skies overhead. Her brother helped point out which plane was from which country and kept saying “we’re going to beat em!”. She watched a bunch of planes get shot down and people parachute. (This story was awesome, and we quickly stopped talking about her high blood pressure). After the story, she said how amazing she thought Churchill was and she wished today’s leaders could be more like those in World War II. I laughed and agreed with her. (Churchill more charismatic and a better speaker than “W”?!? No way.)

Last night I went to the movies with Gwen because I got today off. We saw Mystic River, which I had wanted to see for awhile. (I was unimpressed, see Mick Flicks). The rest of today will likely be filled with errands and bills as I’ve lagged on these things for some time. Tomorrow I’m on call overnight. Only 3 calls to go. I’m getting tired of the wards, though. Each day is a little harder to get up on time. I have no more days off until next Sunday, which will officially signify the end of the ward month (I took the last day off). So 8 days on the wards left and counting.

Time to go clean my house and get my oil changed.


No comments: