The Wards - Day 6

I just finished our legendary "Mega Call" (this is every Friday call, the team alternates each week), where my team was the admitting team for 36 hours. The first 12 hours are handled by the night float and he only gave me 2 patients (a very good sign) at our morning check out rounds at 6:45 am Friday morning. This was a good sign for a very manageable team. Unfortunately, the good luck was not to last and I proceeded to admit another 12 patients to my team over the next 24 hours. (This is a heinous amount - plus I sent 2 people to the ICU and had another consult from the surgeons) So basically, I woke up at 5 am yesterday and went to work. I worked from about 6:30 am (Friday) until about 3:40 pm today (Saturday). At 4:40 am when I was trying to type up some documents my eyes glazed over and I thought I couldn't go on. I laid down for 30 minutes and then got back up and finished all my work. Our call was over at 7 am this morning. Then we rounded. Then we put all our plans from rounds into action. Then there was the eternal paperwork to catch up on. I left the hospital at 3:40 pm. I came home, got a little burst of life, and made some food. Its now 6 pm - I'm typing this, then I'm going to get in the shower, then get in bed, pass out, get up at 5 am tomorrow, and go back to work. My next call day is Monday. Ah, the wards.

No comments: