Coldplay Wins

I think it was back in August of 2008, while I was in San Diego actually, that I first heard "Viva La Vida" from Cold play.

I'm sad to admit but this song (which grew to ridiculous popularity and was overplayed exhaustively) for whatever reason cast some sort of dark spell on me and still refuses to let go.

I couldn't get enough when it first came out. I still can't.

Every time it comes on - in the car, in an airport, on TV, in a movie theater, anywhere - my head starts bobbing, I start singing - it's over. I'm totally into it. And I've made a habit of singing it all too often.

...which drives Gwen nuts.

So now it's become a fun game of "Oh yeah, I haven't sung Coldplay in a while!" followed by me starting to hum, then bob my head, then sing the lines ("I used to rule the world...."). All this usually concludes with Gwen's reaction of "NoooooooO! Not AGAIN!"

Good times.

Well I hadn't sung it in a while and tonight I suddenly thought of it. Sitting next to Gwen and her laptop, I just gave up and downloaded it from iTunes on my laptop, and then played it with a broad smile, while head-bobbing in the general direction of the now demoralized Gwendolyn, who proceeded to bang her head into the table repeatedly. I even did my little dance to it and everything.

"The King is Dead...long live the King..."

"For some reason I can't explain, I know Pete's Sweet Taint won't call my name..."

So many good lines. I'm hooked.

So's Gwendolyn - in a different way.











That was when I ruled the world...

4 comments:

Gabriel said...

Can't wait to hear the live version on a ski lift here in the States next winter.

Anonymous said...

You are NOT to encourage him, Gabe.

Gwen

Adman said...

Too late!

eryn_roston@yahoo.com said...

I've always liked Coldplay but really could never get into this song. But I'd still like to hear YOU sing it mike.