Super Bowl and Strasbourg

I survived my first "Euro" Super Bowl. Kick off time was a ripe 12:20 am on Monday morning. I was pumping the diet coke just to stay half-awake. The game was kind of disappointing, in my opinion. Overall, I'm glad the Steelers won for Gwendolyn's sake. As an objective football fan, though, I think Seattle got robbed on several calls. (Not as bad as my Giants did in 2000, of course; Hello!?!? Armstead pick for six called back!?! In fact, I'm pretty sure that game never happened now that I think about it...)

Big Ben played like ass. I haven't seen him rattled like that since last year's playoffs. I think it was about mid third quarter when Cowher decided not to let him throw the ball ever again. At all. In fact, the best pass from Pittsburgh of the game came from Randle El - that thing was sweet. We were having trouble deciding who the MVP on Pittsburgh would be. Nobody really made that many plays. Personally, I was pulling for like Alan Faneca or a lineman to take home the thing. I suppose Hines Ward had going from him that he simply didn't screw up - plus he bailed out Ben something wicked on that heave down to the two yard line.

On the flip side, poor Matt Hasslebeck. That guy played like a champ, with the exception of one (awful) throw. And how he got called for an illegal block while trying to make a tackle (on his own pick) I'll never know. Once the NFL's darling Colts got beat, I think the league clung to the whole Bettis going home thing (Oh he was from Detroit?) and decided that come hell or high water, Pittsburgh was winning this thing. Kind of disappointing, because I think Seattle actually played the better game. For a while, we were trying to decide who the Least Valuable Player was. It was down to Big Ben, Josh Brown, and Jeremy Stevens. In the end, I think Stevens was the clear loser - nice work dropping like 8 perfect passes on national TV and trying to drop that TD catch. Poor Matt. No wonder that he's the baldest guy in the history of the NFL.

But, again, in the end, I'm happy with the end result. Again, for Gwendolyn's sake.

And with that the playoffs are over. I have to say that my favorite thing about this year's playoffs was watching Peyton Manning throw his O-line under the bus after the Steeler game. Awesome stuff. If he can't just sack up and take that loss on his head, he sucks. I now hope that guy never wins. (His brother on the other hand...)

I got to bed around 4:45 am - awesome. Morning clinic was canceled because of the Super Bowl. (This actually IS awesome). I was a zombie through the afternoon, however, but so it goes.

Yesterday, visiting resident Trish and I took a day trip to Strasbourg, France. It was about 2 hours away. Unfortunately it was Sunday - and in Euro-style that means just about everything his closed. We walked around a tad, then found an open museum which had some cool anthropological stuff about the area in prehistoric times. Then we had dinner at some Italian place. We tried sitting at some French place that wasn't serving food, yet, and encountered the full stereotypical snooty French guy, a la Ferris Bueller. Best ever. Other than that, I probably only made about 4 cultural faux paus on the day - not too shabby. After dinner, we rolled home and I settled in to watch the Bowl. On that note, here are some pics.



















Window Shopping for Funboys

No comments: