ROCK YOU LIKE A HURRICANE

It’s late Tuesday night and there are reports of Gulf Coast residents fleeing their homes and heading north as “Crazy Ivan” looms near. After living in New Orleans for four years it’s crazy to think back at some of those crazy storms I experienced while there. I think I went through about 5 hurricanes, 2 bad ones.

I think that the worst two such hurricanes were during my first year. I distinctly remember driving home once from school in about 2-3 feet of water while praying my car didn’t stall or flood – all this while driving through some horrific projects where I stuck out like a serious sore thumb. Why was I in the projects? Because the main roads were clogged with traffic and I decided to pull of and take my chances. Foolish move.

Every time I got the old Pathfinder over 5 mph, the waves of water would lap up into people’s homes and they were none too pleased about it. Undergoing intense death stares from behind dilapidated windows, I drove about 2 mph and slowly, ever so slowly got home. I’m not sure what would have happened if that car had stalled…

Another time I remember leaving the city on one of the last planes out as a hurricane hit. This was also during my first year of med school. The plane was headed for San Diego, and the airport actually closed mere hours after my flight took off. It was one of the (many) times where I ended up extending my trip – this time I did it actually because the New Orleans airport still wasn’t open on the day I was supposed to return.

I shall have to give old Cameron a call and see how he’s faring…

In other news I’m still working on a written piece about the wild Saturday night Pete and I had. I thought I would complete it tonight but other things here at home prevented me from doing so. I also need to mop up a story regarding THE DRAMA. Look for both of these things on the old WCD soon, hopefully tomorrow night or by the weekend.

I also owe this blog some serious book discussions. (And, I owe Mick Flicks the same for movies). I’m also way behind on my emails. So much to write, so little time.

I watched some Monday Night Football last night featuring the Green Bay Packers. It always astounds me how much John Madden wants to have sex with Brett Favre. It really is out of control. But it’s hilarious to listen to the commentary. There’s a new feature on MNF this year in which they ‘get personal’ with each the 2 starting quarterbacks at some time during the game. During last Thursday’s game we learned about Tom Brady. Last night, we learned that Panther QB Jake Delhomme was into “mucking stalls with the best of ‘em” and that he “hated celery”. Brett Favre, on the other hand, really enjoys Toby Keith and actually wanted to change his name to “Gator” when he was a kid. (The mention of the “gator” name, of course, set Madden into another verbal sexual frenzy regarding Brett).

“Nobody throws the ball…and nobody makes love…like a Brett Favre. Brett Favre can really do it all…”

He sure can.


No comments: