Straight West Coastin'

Got back from San Diego today after a quick week-long trip to begin the frenzied job search process. More on that in a second. First a couple of quick pre-trip updates:

-Birthday came and went on November 19th; Gwen and I went to Julien (French Restaurant) in K-town that evening, very quiet and very nice. My birthday fell on a Wednesday, so the following weekend we took a day trip up to Frankfurt and spent the night in a nice hotel, and enjoyed a well-researched sushi dinner, all courtesy of sweet Gwendolyn. The sushi was actually pretty solid, at least tied (with a place in Munich) for the best I've had in Europe. A nice weekend.

-Thanksgiving came and went. Gwen and I journeyed to Heidelberg for this to have dinner with an old Madigan colleague, Dr. Allision, and his family, who are now stationed over there. A very pleasant day. I spent the Saturday and Sunday of Thanksgiving working, and also preparing for....

SAN DIEGO

Gwen and I flew out last Monday and returned today, quite the quick trip to travel all the way to the West coast. For good and bad, it will be a trip we will be making likely several more times in quick succession over the next six months. Good because it is part of our much heralded transition to civilian life. Bad because it requires a ridiculous amount of fatiguing time in plains, trains, and automobiles. Gwen and I emerged from our flight to Frankfurt this morning bleary-eyed like a pair of zombies on the hunt for brains. Sadly, the traveling part of traveling really does get old.

But the upside easily outweighs the down. I got to see my peeps, go to the annual Baditude Holiday Christmas Party (awesome), and through the interview process realize that there is indeed tangible life after the Army.

I spent the bulk of my week in a suit driving all over San Diego County and meeting with various physicians. The good news is that there are job opportunities there. The bad news is trying to decided which one to go for as there are many different types, styles and locations to choose from. Not a bad problem to have, of course, but not the sort of decision to take lightly. Anyway, more later. I'm jetlagged and have to take call the next two nights, which I'm not exactly thrilled about.

On top of that, I've got fantasy football playoff games to gameplan for!

Peace.

No comments: