Happy New Year Blog

After two weeks of hosting and traveling, I'm back. I dropped my parents off at the airport this morning, and Ceil and Ken (friends of the family from way back) likewise the day before. Christmas and New Year's have come and gone, and it was great seeing everyone and of course seeing some of the sights. A full report on the comings and goings will follow over the next week or so, as I piece together all the events of the trip and try to come up with some semblance of a coherent narrative with photos.

For Gwen and I now, it's back to work and the relatively dull routine that existed before the holidays. There's some comfort in that I suppose, but still neither one of us really likes going back to work these days, and there's definitely going to be a lot of sighs tomorrow when I had back as I'm sure there were for Gwen when she headed back a couple of days ago.

Both of us are on call for the upcoming weekend, her the entire weekend and myself Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. The Giants have a playoff game that will require viewing (and it's not like I'm not going to watch the OTHER playoff games, too) and I also have a whole bunch of new video game related Christmas presents to dive into, including most significantly a Wii which was given to me by Gwendolyn and augmented with various games from several parties. A gamer's work is never done I suppose.

The only small plus (though this is actually more of a negative) is that fantasy football is over for another year, and thus some of my time is freed up from that end. For the first time in a long time, I did not win a championship in any of my leagues, despite playing in four - my most ever. The lesson I think is to keep a tighter hand on what fantasy related football events I allow myself to participate in. I think next year I'm going to focus on two or three core leagues, and eliminate some of the fluff (salary cap football, only one pick 'em pool, etc). Things got a little ridiculous this year. Also one commissioner-ship is enough for me - having been a commish in two leagues made my performance at the job suffer in both I think. All that said, in the back of my mind I'm already looking forward to next year's draft.

And there it stands. More holiday updates to follow. For now, just had to bust out a quick post and flex the old blogging muscles again.

No comments: