More Catch Up

I have too much going on in my dome today to try and sort through all the thoughts. Its my last day in the United States (as a resident) for a while. I can't quite get my head around that.

Tommorrow, I'm moving to (FUCKING!) Europe. It all seems a little unreal. But rather than focus on it, let's do the catch up thing instead.

More Houston:

-Overall, it was good to see the fam. We're never home all together very much and it was kind of cool to just sit down and have dinner together at the kitchen table, like the old days. Every time I go home, I learn more and more about my childhood from my parents' point of view, which is always fun and enlightening. My sister is doing well, currently studying for the MCAT (despite my discouragements), which is mind boggling to me.

-I saw Eric Hurtado one day. He lives in Houston now, and will be there for three years doing a Uro-gynecology Fellowship. That's right - EHurt will soon be making a living by surgically correcting incontinent old women. Despite this, it was good to see the Hurt, and of course his little son Carlos. Ehurt is the classic "nice guy". He's warm and kind, and he always seems cheery. His son is a cute (and very fair skinned which cracks me up) little guy who was running around all over the place and yapping away in a combination of English and Spanish. He's growing up fully bilingual, which, of course, is the coolest. Hurt and I and the 'Los hit up my parents' pool, which was enjoyed by all. (Then Papa Stup wanted to take us for a ride to show Eric the Woodlands - "Take Five Minutes," he said. And Eric - too nice to say no. Hilarity.) Pics below.

-I saw the following movies while at Houston withe following quick reviews:

Almost Famous - Second viewing, good movie. Not as good as everyone says, I think, but very good nonetheless. I think the film's major weakness is Crudup's 3-star (at best) acting. While not technically 'bad', I didn't think it matched the talent of some of the other main characters. Still, definitely an enjoyable film with a big thumb's up.

The Rundown - Whoa. Papa Stup had this on DVD and I popped in one night after splitting a bottle of wine with Mama Stup over dinner. Actually (prepare to gasp, people), it's not a bad movie. Now granted I was pretty sauced when I watched it, but I must say I enjoyed it. For one thing, I must admit a guilty pleasure of enjoying "The Rock". (I recently also saw "Walking Tall", which is the story of The Rock cleaning up his old home town with a humongous 2x4 - how can you beat that?) The Rock is big and tough and he just works for me. (And I like Dido too, I admit it, so there!) For another thing, the film has Walken as a bad guy, playing essentially a parody of himself, and he nails it. Cool setting, etc. I seriously did like this movie. Again, though, I was drunk.

The Matrix - Papa Stup impression aside, this is a tight sci-fi movie. Much better than either sequel. (Though I liked the second one, and thought the third was complete crap).

(Speaking of movies, has anyone seen the preview for "Stealth"? This looks like the single worst movie idea/event in the past 10 years. The preview leaves me shaking my head and speechless everytime. Sad, really.)


Back in Seattle

Seeing the sites. Saying good bye to people. Last night, had dinner with George for the last time. Then saw Heath for drinks. (I can't wait to meet up with Heath in London someday where his accent, fashion, and flair for the dramatic will be able to bloom to their full potential.) Today, walking about Seattle, and meeting Gwen's brother and boyfriend for one final dinner. Then down to a hotel near the airport, and then tomorrow.

Another major shift. A lot on my mind - more to follow in the coming weeks. Enjoy the pics.


Heath strikes a pose



E Hurt and C Hurt


Big Mick - Wired in H-town.



Little 'Los schools my parents' house

No comments: