To the left lane of the German Autobahn - I Salute you

I said goodbye to my car today. Yup, had to sell off the old 1995 BMW 740i. It has European specs, so I couldn't take it back with me even if I wanted to.

But really, I didn't. You see, I loved that car. But taking that car, a super-charged V8-laden highway monster like that off of the Autobahn where it can run free like it was born to and into the traffic-laden clogged streets of Southern California? That would have been cruel, like taking King Kong out of his lost jungle island home and transporting him to Manhattan. It just wouldn't work. And though my car probably wouldn't try to climb the highest building and swat at buzzing helicopters, it would be equally sad on the inside.

So I said goodbye. Sold it to an Army Captain who had just come back from a 15-month deployment to Iraq. He lives, ironically enough, in Baumholder. So my last drive in the car was back to "The Rock", the land of my deployment unit. A fitting trip down memory lane as my time in Europe AND the Army draws to a close.

I'll miss that car. And I'll miss driving on the autobahn over here - make no mistake. Germans are better highway drivers than Americans because they have a very common sense approach. Go as fast as you're comfortable with, and stay the hell out of the left lane unless you're the fastest car in sight. It's that simple. And it works.





"Go on girl, and don't look back"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which will be harder, my dear: saying goodbye to the car or packing up the initial manifestation of Man Room?

Gwen